Looking for your 1098T form? Have questions? Most questions can be answered by reading this detailed information about the 1098T process.
If you still have questions after reading this page in its entirety, please email 1098T@vsc.edu and include your Student ID, the college you attend (or attended), and your question in detail.
IMPORTANT TAX RETURN DOCUMENT INFORMATION
2015-1098Ts are available to view, download and print now. Students, former students and authorized users* can access the current and recent year 1098T forms on the VSCS bill payment site.
Make sure you have the current version of Adobe Reader (LINK) and that pop-ups are enabled in your browser. If you enable them during your visit, you will have to log out completely of your browser and back in to activate. If you are using a Mac computer, open by using Safari and enable pop-ups.
- Students – To view or print your 1098T form use these instructions:
- Enter the portal address, https://portal.vsc.edu ;
- Choose “VSCS Bill Payment for Students and Authorized Users.”
- Use your VSCS Portal ID and password to log into the Student and Staff box.
- Consent to viewing documents electronically to view the site.
- All available 1098T forms will appear on the “My Account” page.
- Follow instructions for viewing and downloading form
- If you are unsure of your user ID or password, click on the links labeled
“What’s my username?” (https://ash.vsc.edu/selfservice/my_username.pl ) or
“I forgot my password” (https://myid.vsc.edu/myAccount/ResetPassword.aspx )
*Authorized users: Login at https://sycamore.vsc.edu/C21736_tsa/web/login.jsp using the email issued by your student, password as created, and the “Authorized Users” box. If you are unsure of your password, enter your email and click “Have a temporary password emailed to you.”
*Students who consent to electronic access of the 1098T form may allow authorized users access to 1098T forms. To authorize, students must log in; click on the My Account tab; choose Authorized Users; and Edit or Add Authorized User. Once added, authorized users will be emailed login information and can access 1098T forms.
Students can view their billing statements for the detailed charges and payments
or go to Web Services using their username and password for a summary of the charges. You can access Web Services (https://webservices.vsc.edu) by following these instructions:
- Login at the upper right using your Portal User ID and Password*.
- Select STUDENTS tab; Select STUDENT BILLING/FINANCIALS.
- Select “1098T STUDENT ACCOUNT SUMMARY” (summary of charges and payments)
The VSCS uses the Box 2 method for reporting to the IRS (this content is out of date but we need to keep it till the new info is ready)
If you pre-registered in 2014 for your spring 2015 term, those qualifying tuition charges are reported on your 2014 1098T, as this is when you were actually billed those charges, not in 2015. Please have your tax preparer refer to your 2014 1098T and you will see that Box 7 is checked, indicating that some charges are for January – March 2015.
Room / Meals Costs: Only tuition, student activity fees, facilities fees, and some course fees are considered qualified tuition costs. You will not find room and meal charges reflected in your 1098T.
Each institution is required to choose between the following methods of reporting to the IRS. The VSCS uses box 2 method. This information comes directly from the IRS website*:
- Box 1. Payments Received for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses –
If your institution uses this method of reporting (VSCS does not use), enter the total amount of payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses from all sources during the calendar year…
- Box 2. (As used by VSCS) Amounts Billed for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses – If your institution uses this method of reporting (VSCS uses this method as do most institutions), enter the amounts billed during the calendar year for qualified tuition and related expenses. The amount reported is the total amount billed less any reductions in charges made during the calendar year that relate to the amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses during the same calendar year. The amount reported is not reduced by scholarships and grants reported in box 5.
Form 1098-T. Eligible educational institutions (such as VSC) must send Form 1098-T (or acceptable substitute) to each enrolled student by January 31, 2015. An institution may choose to report either payments received (box 1), or amounts billed (box 2), for qualified education expenses.
However, the amounts in boxes 1 and 2 of Form 1098-T might be different than what you actually paid. When figuring the credit, use only the amounts you paid or were deemed to have paid in 2015 for qualified education expenses.
Please consult your tax advisor with specific questions on how you use the 1098T or the implications of your tax refund.
If you have a billing question, please contact your college business office directly as listed below. Be prepared with your student ID** number and, if you are a parent or authorized user, the FERPA* code given to you by your student:
Community College of Vermont:
Johnson State College:
Lyndon State College:
Vermont Technical College:
*We cannot give out any information about your student’s account unless your student has completed the FERPA authorization form stating that we are allowed to discuss the account with you. Below are instructions on how your student completes this form to include you, and any other authorized users, so that we can ask for the code when you request information. Please forward this information to your student so they can complete it using these instructions.
Also included are procedures on how your student can add any authorized users to the online billing account so payments can be made directly through that account and balances reviewed at any time.
To sign the FERPA form to allow authorized users to discuss your account follow these steps:
- Log into https://webservices.vsc.edu/.
- Look for Student Academic Profile menu.
- Select FERPA Authorization form.
- Complete the form by creating an access code and entering the name and relationship of each person you wish to authorize.
- Be sure to click “Submit.” Upon submission you will receive an email in your college email account confirming your submission.
To add authorized users to the billing site, follow these steps:
- Enter theVSCS portal: https://portal.vsc.edu.
- Choose theVSCS Bill Payment for Students and Authorized Users link and follow these instructions:
- Students: Use your VSCS Portal ID and password to log into the Student and Staff box.*
- Enter your Portal ID and password. (If you are unsure of this information, follow the links labeled “What is my username?” and “What is my college ID?”)
- Accept consent for access.
- To Authorize:
- Log in to the bill payment site.
- Click on My Account tab, then choose Authorized Users, then choose Edit a Current User or Add Authorized User.
- Once added, authorized users can access bills, make payments and access 1098T form if student consents.
*If you are unsure of your Portal ID or password, go to https://portal.vsc.edu and follow the links labeled “What is my username?” and “What is my college ID?”